there are only two people on this earth that make those moves work for them
THIS BLOODY CAST <3333
Alexander Hamilton, everyone…
What isn’t cultural appropration:
• Trying/eating/making a culture’s food
• Listening to that culture’s music
• Watching that culture’s movies
• Reading that culture’s books
• Appreciating that culture’s art
• Wearing that culture’s clothing IF in a setting where that culture is prevalent and IF people are okay with it and/or it is necessary to fit in and not stand out weirdly (i.e. If you visit Pakistan, you can wear a shalwar kameez so you don’t stand out as an American tourist. Or if you visit a specific temple or religious setting, you may need to/want to adhere to specific dress forms. Or if you’re invited to a wedding and they allow/invite you to wear their cultural dress to participate in the festivities).
• Using that culture’s dance/physical traditions in specific settings (i.e. taking belly-dancing classes, or going to an Indian wedding and trying to dance with them).
What is cultural appropriation:
• Wearing specific items of clothing that may (and probably do) have deeper meaning as a costume. Like on Halloween.
• Wearing specific items of clothing to be trendy or fashionable.
• Trying to imitate their natural beauty standards and possible makeup/markings (i.e dreadlocks and bindis and mehndi/henna).
• Taking their rituals, old-as-hell traditions, and dances and turning them into cheap, tacky everyday garbage for you to have “fun” with (i.e. smoking sheesha. Y’all turned it into this janky nonsense that looks so trashy and stupid).
• Taking spiritual/religious ideas and traditions and subscribing to them to be trendy or unique
• Trying to act like you’re an expert in their food, music, or art, and that you can do it BETTER than them
• Basically trying to WEAR that culture’s skin, clothing, & beauty traditions as a costume/trend and turn old traditions into cheap garbage
stop with the messages asking if this specific little thing is cultural appropriation or not
To every straw man fallacy of “Hey, I like tacos/sushi/curry but people say I’m appropriating their culture! I’m the victim here! I’m being attacked by rabid social justice warriors!!!”
youre a lucky girl, peggy
Not a shirt on my back, not a penny to my name;
Oh, I can’t go back home this-a-way
The artists over at Pictoplasma academy are producing some pretty amazing stuff.
times new roman in the streets wingdings in the sheets
a man wrote an article about this mysterious new Fan Fiction craze, and oh boy did we all learn a lot from it.
This dude approaches fan fiction like some senators approach legislation on vaginas: A little bit scared, because he thinks it may involve sex.
"…it will be an interesting journey to see where we end up when the author of a story featuring Captain Kirk has never seen Star Trek!"
IMAGINE THAT. FAN FICTION, WRITTEN BY A PERSON WHO IS NOT A FAN OF THE PARENT WORK.
there’s a news headline generator that mixes words from real news headlines and they are fucking golden
these sound completely legit
Page 1 of 35